Who eats lunch and who is lunch is fundamental to natural selection. In a State of Nature, violence is unlimited.
Sovereignty is sanctioned violence. To minimize war and crimes, "the consent of the governed" grant governments sovereignty, authority to apply violence to coerce compliance with law.
Federalist #51 (Madison): “If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this: you must first enable the government to control the governed; and in the next place oblige it to control itself."
Common Sense (Paine): “Some writers have so confounded society with government, as to leave little or no distinction between them; whereas they are not only different, but have different origins. Society is produced by our wants, and government by our wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. The one encourages intercourse, the other creates distinctions. The first is a patron, the last a punisher…”
The problem with granting governments sovereignty is that they are run by self-interested men who want power and are willing to apply violence to increase their power. Human history is written in the blood of the weak by those most willing to apply violence to secure their power. Democracy is not safeguard:
Federalist #10 (Madison): “Hence it is that democracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and in general have been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths...
Hitler was elected in a democracy.
Annihilation of Native Americans, internment of Japanese Americans, slavery and Jim Crow were actively supported by America's democracy. The mortgaging of children in demanded by voters in America today.
With the US Constitution we Divided Sovereignty into three centers:
- "We the People" remain armed and retain all powers not enumerated as sacrificed to governments in written Constitutions.
- To the Federal government we:
- Grant unlimited taxing powers to wage war and coerce behaviors that build paths to war.
- Alienate Federal taxing to "provide" welfare, limiting it to only "promote the general welfare".
- Alienate Federal involvement in commerce beyond those aspects that can build paths to war.
- Alienate Federal taxing to build highways and other "internal improvements beyond "post Roads".
- To state government we alienated waging war and granted a monopoly of violence to coerce compliance with criminal and civil law. For all else, the people retain liberty to create the general welfare.